The non-profit “producer” market is a seasonal staple in Northeast Indiana and serves the Downtown Fort Wayne Indiana landscape as a local grocer, provider of community engagement, and consistent storefront for “hyper local” entrepreneurs to sell their goods to the public.
FORT WAYNE - The YLNI Farmers Market, though considered an essential entity, delayed its opening by two weeks to May 16 due to the climate of COVID-19 cases in Allen County and Fort Wayne. The market organizing team from Young Leaders of Northeast Indiana (YLNI) has announced modifications to the market in accordance with COVID-19 Phase 2 Guidelines from Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb.
“We are so excited and relieved to not only get our local small business vendors back to work serving the community, but also to provide local products back into the hands of Northeast Indiana residents," Ashley Adams-Wagner, YLNI Farmers Market manager said. "These modifications are temporary and will be fluid depending on where we find ourselves in the upcoming weeks. We look forward to providing the full experience of our YLNI Farmers Market when the time allows.”
Below is a summary of modifications to the market
- The layout of the market has changed, and vendors will be back to back down Barr and Berry Streets.
- Vendors will be “grabbing their own products” behind their booths to customers lower contact with customers
- Foot traffic will be placed in a “one-way” flow to encourage zero lines at booths and tents, and increase the ability to stay the appropriate distances from others as directed by Phase 2 Guidelines
- Face masks will be encouraged but not required for vendors and patrons throughout Phase 2 in line with the Governor’s Phase 2 guidelines.
- Strategic placement of hand sanitizer stations will be placed throughout the YLNI Farmers Market Footprint
- There will be delivery and pickup options through local delivery services if “at-risk” or those who wish to isolate from the market would like to have local goods from vendors.
- The History Center will be open for restroom facilities.
The YLNI Farmers Market encourages any resident who is feeling ill, sick or exposed to people with COVID-19 to refrain from attending the market until the current climate changes.
These modifications are fluid recommendations and can be changed at any time if circumstances warrant it.
For any additional updates, please refer questions to the YLNI Farmers Market social media pages, or go to their website at www.ylnifarmersmarket.com.
Media are invited to take photos and/or video of any of the ongoing farmers markets throughout the season.
For more information, please contact Ashley Adams-Wagner at 260.414.7719 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who's on Barr Street? Who's at Parkview Field?
In past years, both the YLNI Farmers Market and the Fort Wayne Farmer's Market co-located their markets along Barr Street with YLNI's market occupying the Barr Street space north of Wayne Street. For the time being, the Fort Wayne Farmer's Market is remaining at their Parkview Field location, which also hosts their winter market. This arrangement is subject to change at a later date.
Go to their website for updates about their market operations.